1. With heavy heart the students’ union government received the information about the fatal accident that happened today at Ibule soro.
2. It was an unfortunate, tragedy that befall the entire staff, management and the students’ of this institution
3. They(victims) were actually on a private journey to Ibadan to attend a missionary conference after the night vigil they had at redeem Christian fellowship.
4. It was so unfortunate that after a stressful night with fatigue kick they started the journey.
5. The accident involved a Toyota hiace bus with 15 students on board(one from UNIBEN, one PGD student and 13 undergraduates from FUTA) and a motorcycle which was the cause of the accident. It was so sad that a students who participated in the vigil drived the bus.
6. The driver lost control when he(driver) wanted to avoid a crash with the rider of the motorcycle and the driver in trying to save the collision with the OKADA man, the bus somersaulted more than three times; they were immediately rushed to private hospitals and at the end four of the victims gave up the ghost; on this day sadness and sorrow engulf the entire members of the union and the management.
7. As of the time of filling this statement the remaining students’ are responding to treatment; we therefore on behalf of the entire students uses this medium to commend the effort of the university management for the vital role played in resuscitating the life of some of the victims. Your action today had demonstrated your caring heart to the students’ of this University, not forgetting the FRSC officials and the students that donated blood.
7. It is to be noted that the accident does not in anyway relate to CSP210 as been rumoured by some set of miscreants whose sole aims is to secure the opportunity to cause a mayhem on campus
8. The students’ union hereby cease this opportunity to commiserate with the fellowship, friends, mate, and most especially the family of the deceased on this irreparable loss and it is our prayer that God should give them the fortitude to bear the loss. Amen
9. It is also important to inform the entire students populace to join us in prayer to avert such reoccurrence and for God’s mercy to bring back two of the victims who are in critical condition which has been refer to specialist hospital for proper medical attention
10. The students’ union hereby declare three days mourning which takes effect from 12am tomorrow and as such all staff of the union(tenants) and in extension those selling things on campus are to stay off work during this period of mourning any individual that goes otherwise might not be able to tell the story, consequently SUG flags has been lowered; this is part of the activities line up by the union to pay our respect for these fallen hero
11. Finally, we urge all FUTARIANS to be calm and prayerful as everything is now under control.
We pray the love of God enfolds us during this difficult times and he helps us heal with the passage of time.
Comr. Olusegun Oladele
SUG PRESIDENT FUTA
See images below