Tuesday , November 19 2019
Home / News / Breaking News / All What We Know So Far About The Xenophobic Attacks On Nigeria In South Africa

All What We Know So Far About The Xenophobic Attacks On Nigeria In South Africa

Xenophobic Attacks on Nigerians are Reckless and Unacceptable – Osinbajo

The Vice President of Nigeria, Prof Yemi Osinbajo has commented on the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

Speaking to reporters in Kano state, Osinbajo, pointed out that the situation is condemnable and unfortunate, especially considering the role of Nigeria during South Africa’s apartheid regime.

In a statement, released by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, the VP said:

“Let me say first that these recent attacks are condemnable. It is very sad and very unfortunate that the lives and livelihoods of Nigerians living in South Africa are once again being destroyed with such wantonness and with such carelessness and recklessness.

“It is unfortunate because Nigeria and Nigerians invested a great deal in the destruction and pulling down of apartheid. Besides, these acts of bigotry are entirely contrary to the very ideals that all the great South African leaders, including the present President fought for, and for which many gave their lives.

“Mr President has already spoken about this; and obviously we are very concerned and certainly intend to take this up with the authorities in South Africa in order to ensure that this sort of thing does not repeat itself. This is absolutely unacceptable and unconscionable.”

Burna Boy reacts to Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa, says he’ll Never Set Foot in the Country until the Government Wakes Up

Burna Boy has reacted to the attack on Nigerians in South Africa.

Taking to twitter, Burna Boy, in a series of tweets, aired his anger at the attack and declared that he would never set foot in the South African until their government addresses the issue.

MultiChoice & MTN Condemn Xenophobic Attacks in South Africa

MultiChoice Nigeria is reaching out to its customers and condemning ongoing Xenophobic attack on Nigerians and foreign nationals in South Africa.

Expressing their sympathy on their official Instagram page.

Likewise, MTN Nigeria is also condemning the hate, xenophobia and violence of Africans in SA. The telecoms giant released a statement signed by its CEO in Nigeria, Ferdi Moolman.

Buhari sends Special Envoy to South Africa over Xenophobic Attacks on Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed concern over attacks on Nigerian citizens and property in South Africa.

A statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said the president has also dispatched a Special Envoy to convey to President Cyril Ramaphosa his concerns and also interact with his South African counterpart on the situation.

See the statement below:

President Muhammadu Buhari has noted with deep concern, reported attacks on Nigerian citizens and property in South Africa since August 29, 2019.

Consequently, the President has instructed the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, to summon the South African High Commissioner to Nigeria and get a brief on the situation; express Nigeria’s displeasure over the treatment of her citizens; and assurance of the safety of their lives and property.

President Buhari has also despatched a Special Envoy to convey to President Cyril Ramaphosa his concerns and also interact with his South African counterpart on the situation.

The Special Envoy is expected to arrive in Pretoria latest Thursday, September 5, 2019.

Protesters Invade Shoprite in Lekki over Xenophobic Attacks on Nigerians in SA

Some protesters on Tuesday attacked Shoprite in Circle Mall, Lekki, a South African establishment.

The protest is in response to the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.

It was reported that some youth invaded the shopping mall, destroyed properties before the police arrived.

The xenophobic attacks have been condemned by Nigerians across all spheres of life.

Nigerian High Commission in South Africa releases Statement On Xenophobic Attacks

The Nigerian High Commissioner in South Africa, Kabiru Bala, has released a statement concerning the xenophobic attack on Nigerians and other foreign nationals in the Gauteng province of South Africa.

In the press release, the High Commissioner assured that a list of those affected by the attack are currently being compiled, while assuring that the High Commission and Consulate are currently working with the relevant authorities to bring back normalcy.

Debunking previous report that the Nigerian High Commission was closed to Nigerians, Bala assured that the Consulate and High Commission are always open to citizens.

BBNaija Star Ifu Ennada asks Show Organisers to go on 24-Hour Break to Show Support to Nigerians in SA

Ifu Ennada is speaking up against the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other Africans in South Africa.

She condemned the attacks, saying “shame on South Africa. Shame on our government. Shame on everyone who enables xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa. Shame on us all.”

Writing on Instagram, the Big Brother Naija Double Wahala housemate called on #BBNaija organisers to go on a 24-hour break to “show support”.

In another post, Ifu Ennada called on the organisers of the show to also get the current housemates to do a task on xenophobia.

See her posts below:

To all South-Africans who derive pleasure in enabling/executing Xenophobic attacks- you’re afflicted by inferiority complex, stupidity and ignorance. You claim Nigerians are taking over your country, but you forget that over 85% of your wealth is controlled by Whites who are really Lords over your lives in your own country.
You all keep bringing shame to yourselves and your beloved Nelson Mandela.

Your celebrities, your government, our government and everyone who keeps blind eyes and sealed lips as this evil continues should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Your companies here make a ton of money from Nigeria and Nigerians, from #BBNaija to Multichoice itself, to MTN, Shoprite and every single South African owned business in Nigeria, you actually control a good amount of our wealth here, but you’ll never catch Nigerians killing your people.

I wish there was something I could do other than just write. Since yesterday, my mind has experienced a turmoil thinking of the best line of action I could take, but this is all I can do right now and dare suggest that #bbnaija goes on a 24hrs break to show support to our
people getting attacked in South Africa.
The world is crazy, the world is evil but I never knew my brothers and sisters who I’ve been there for will be the evil that threatens my life. I never knew South Africans will be the evil that threatens our very own existence.

They have forgotten how Nigeria played a huge role in their liberation years ago. They have forgotten. Nelson Mandela must have died a 100th time in his grave.

May God have mercy on us all.😔

SayNoToXenophobia #XenophobicAttack #SouthAfrica

@bigbronaija #BBNaija has the attention of countless millions, it’ll be a good platform to send a message to every enabler or #XenophobicAttacks . What do I know? I can only make these suggestions, las las, dem go do wetin dey their mind.

SayNoToXenophobia #saynotoxenophobia🇿🇦#SouthAfrica

What Is the Nigerian Government Doing About the South African Xenophobic Attacks?

You can see through the thumbnail that the woman is unsettled. She has a wrapper tied loosely across her chest, beneath it a tank top. Her hair is perhaps the most indicative of her state—it is scattered above her head, as if her hands had run through it in agony. A Nigerian woman, whose hair is often her crown, often pampered or covered, has her hair scattered all over her head. Something is wrong.

What’s wrong is the xenophobic attacks in South Africa, where she lives. The attacks have been against Nigerians, which she is. She has her phone in her hand when she says she’s seen videos of South Africans burning houses belonging to Nigerians, the Nigerians jumping out and burning. You hear a boy’s cries in the background, and you know she’s afraid for not just her own life, but also the life of her child.

“I am a Yoruba woman,” the woman says, appealing to the Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, who is also a Yoruba man. But she’s not begging, because her desperation, her need for survival is critical. She’s cursing, because she knows the easiest way to persuade her country-people isn’t through their humanity, but through fear of loss.

Xenophobic attacks against Nigerians living in South Africa isn’t a new development. We saw it in 2015, when cars belonging to Nigerians were burned, and several foreigners were killed. Nigeria-owned businesses and buildings were destroyed in 2017, and Nigerians were killed.

This time, it’s been reported that three people have so far been killed, and buildings have been burned. And what is the Nigerian Government doing to secure the life of its citizens?

The Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, released a statement on his Twitter, saying “Enough is enough,” and “definitive measures” will be taken. The Nigerian Government’s statement was identical in its language, but added that President Muhammadu Buhari met with Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa in Japan a week ago over the attacks. Attacks that began on Sunday.

The statement also added that the president will be visiting South Africa in October. Next month…over killings and destruction of properties that are happening now. Further steps will be taken, according to the statement.

What exactly are these further steps?

It’s not necessary that a government reveal its tactics to citizens, sure. But these attacks began on Sunday, that’s 48 hours ago, and nothing has so far been done except the release of inconsequential statements, to secure the lives of others.

Another video trending on Twitter shows how pervasive the xenophobic attitude is in South Africa: a man who remains the Deputy Minister of Police in the country, Bongani Mkongi, is seen in 2017 condemning foreigners. “We fought for this land from a white minority,” he says in the video. “We cannot surrender it to foreign nationals.”

Ramaphosa, whom President Buhari reportedly held a meeting with over xenophobic attacks, has been silent over the recent spate of attacks. Johannesburg mayor, Herman Mashaba, has downplayed the influence of xenophobia in the attacks, saying it is mostly due to criminality. Obviously, it is time the Nigerian government try another tact.

Actual lives are being destroyed, and it is neglectful to wait until an October visit to attend to something so dire. It is a serious issue and serious steps have to be taken. We don’t need to be told that “definite measures” will be taken. We need to see practical steps being taken to secure the lives and properties of Nigerians.

In the video with the woman, there’s something she says at the end that brings things into perspective. Nigeria is not favourable to people is why they left for South Africa, she said. So it is no surprise, then, that a government that fails to make living conditions favourable to its citizens, forcing them to leave, to seek a better life outside, would also fail to secure the lives of those citizens when they are out.

About Toluwalope Daniel

Toluwalope Daniel an Associate in lekkies Media lnc. A Blogger, Music Lover, a disc jockey and a fashion lover.

Check Also

45th E! People’s Choice Awards: Award Ceremony Winners

The stars were all out for E!’s People Choice Awards with Kevin Hart, Jennifer Aniston, Gwen Stefani, and Pink all …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *